In a previous post, where I discussed website hosting, I suggested purchasing your domain for a different entity than your website host. To purchases a domain you will need to do business with a Domain Name Registrar, an accredited business who can reserve a domain name for you. These companies will allow you to buy any available domain and will give you options to host that domain with the web host provider of your choice.
I’ve actually only ever used a single business for this, domain registrar powerhouse GoDaddy.com. When shopping for a Domain Registrar there are only a few things to look for:
- Reputation - Will they be around in ten years?
- Control Panel Quality – Does the interface look user friendly with lots of options?
- Price – You really should never have to pay much more than $7.00 or so per year.
Any well established commercial registrar should be fairly comparable in most of these categories, but I find that GoDaddy consistently has the lowest prices and I’m familiar and comfortable with their domain management control panel layout.
GoDaddy also runs frequent promotions, below are a list of coupon codes currently available to everyone.
These codes can be entered at checkout, I’ve included a screenshot at right showing where to in put them.
- OYH10 – $2.50 off / $7.49 any .COM (purchase and renewal)
- BTPS101 – 20% any order of $50 or more
- BTPS111 – 10% off anything
- BTPS255 – 25% off $100 or more
- OYH8 – 10% off whatever
- OYH9 – $5 off a $30 purchase
- OYH20H1 – 20% off hosting
- chill8 – 10% off
- chill9 – $5 off $30
- chill10 – $7.49 .coms
- hash8 – 10% off
- hash9 – $5 off $30
- hash10 – $7.49 .com registration
- gdd1101c – 10% off any order of $40 or more
- IAPtdom1 – $7.49 Domain
- IAPth1 – 20% off Hosting
Thanks to “groundctrl” at Fatwallet.com for publishing these codes.